Thursday, December 30, 2010

Out with the old . . . in with the new



New Years Resolutions are something that I feel set me up for failure.

It's just another night . . . just another day, yet it is so symbolic.  In the past I've referred to the upcoming new year as a new chapter in a book.

Rather than set unrealistic goals and promises to myself, I like to take a look at the year about to end.  

What did I like about it?  

What did I hate about it?  

What would I change if I could?

It is also a good time to assess the daily routine and contemplate making it better.  Streamline the process . . . reminds me of the TQM business management philosophy taught by one of the best friends I have ever had, a professor I worked for many years.  I'll never forget his take on incorporating TQM (total quality management) into daily life.  It is all about continual improvement . . . that is what I always strive for.

The new years resolution posts are all over the blogs this morning with the typical lists of unrealistic goals . . . lose weight, quit smoking . . . blah blah blah.  Wonder what the scientific percentage is of those who actually stick to a new years resolution all the way to next Christmas?

Some of the topics I really liked for consideration in my life . . . some I already do, but need to change the way I approach it.

Identify the one thing that you can accomplish in 2011 which would allow you to call the year a success.
Keep a journal . . . be grateful about 5 simple pleasures every day . . . adopt the Simple Abundance lifestyle.  (I used to do this in a public blog that is now closed, but got away from it even though I am aware daily . . . but I need to get back to writing it down.  It helps to look back.)  The journal is like a conversation within yourself, discussing your feelings on topics of interest to you.  It is the ultimate ramble post . . .
Make a list of 10 simple pleasures you can incorporate into your life on a regular basis.  Examples . . . sitting out on the porch drinking flavored coffee in your favorite mug, visiting the park at least once a week to enjoy nature, give yourself spa days and pamper yourself . . . this one goes along with the journal, where you can discover what that simple pleasures are . . . if you ask yourself the right questions.
I love this one . . . Write down the names of 5 people you admire, whether you know them or not, and then write down why you admire them. Write down what you can do to acquire the traits or characteristics that you admire about these people.
My biggest challenge . . . Go through each room of your house and make a list of 10 items for each room which are currently cluttering up your home.  Get rid of them . . . or give them a new purpose!

The ongoing philosophy of my life is to focus on the quality of my life . . . and figuring out what it takes to make it the best it can be for me.  It isn't something that happens at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve . . . it all happens for me through incremental changes throughout the year . . . and throughout my life.

How about you?
Do you make New Year Resolutions?
Do you usually stick to them?

22 comments:

Samantha said...

I am pretty good about keeping them, actually. Mine are up over on my blog. I found you on the blog hop!

Gina Alfani said...

Thanks for stopping by Samantha!

I wish I could keep them, but I never do and then fall into a guilt thing that turns into the "feeling like a failure" mentality that really brings me down. So . . . I don't make them anymore.

Lisa said...

Hi Gina! Thanks so much for following my blog. I'm happy to be your newest follower! Looking forward to reading more here and I'm on my way over to visit your other blog now.

Would love it if you could follow my new blog. http://BlessOthersWithCards.blogspot.com

Lisa xoxo

Heather In The Land Of Mom said...

I really don't make any new year resolutions. I tend to break them easily :) Thank you for linking up in the ring in 2011 blog hop. I am your newest follower. Hope you have a wonderful new year.

abitosunshine said...

NoNo resolutions for me! Oh my on that last one of yours...that would be a challenge for me, too!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

new follower (Bern425) loved the post! I hate resolutions - always fail at keeping them. Of course I still made some this year but they are more lifestyle changes that I really want and need to do - sort of goals for myself at this point in my life. Let's see how I manage with thinking of it this way, lol!

come follow me at http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com

Good luck to you!

Robin said...

Writing down positive things is always a great way to keep a positive attitude. I really should start practicing that one myself in a daily journal. And decluttering is good for everyone all the time. Great choices!

Gina Alfani said...

Yeah, we are on the same thought process . . . it does more harm to feel the failure, in my opinion.

Thanks to the new followers :) I am following you all back and are enjoying your blogs very much!

Have an awesome day!

Lisa said...

Hi Gina! Just came back and followed on both of your Networked Blogs too. :)

Lisa xoxo

Melissa Sharon said...

Following you through the New Year blog hop. Hope you can visit me at http://www.thejoyfuljungle.com Thanks!

Stacy said...

Following via all methods from Blog Hop Thursday, hope you can follow back:
Mom in Training @
http://stacytilton.blogspot.com/

Coupon Queen said...

I love the idea of taking 10 things out of each room! I used to keep a journal of things I was grateful for and it really helped to go back and look at it when I had down days. Often I was thankful for my parents and when they passed away I was able to go back and remember them and be thankful for the time I had with them while they were here. This year my goal isn't to loose weight, just to exercise more, hopefully that will be a side effect. ;) I am now following and looking forward to more great posts in the new year.

Nancy said...

Visiting from the blog hop.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas and have the best 2011 ever.
Nancy
http://discoverdirectselling.blogspot.com/

abitosunshine said...

Hi Gina! I'm here to present you with the Life Is Good Award! You may pick it up on my post, here: Life Is Good

Mandy said...

I am your newest follower. Following from the New Year blog hop. Have a great 2011. All the best for a prosperous new year.

Lu said...

I am your newest follower. I found you through the Ring in the New Year hop! http://lusravesandrants.blogspot.com/2010/12/omg-mummmmy-justin-bieber-said-he-likes.html

Mommies and Beyond said...

Hello. visiting from the ring in 2011 blog hop! Please visit & follow @ http://www.mommiesandbeyond.comn I would love to reach 200 fans before 2011! Happy New Year!

Dawn said...

Following you from the 40's ~ Never Getting Old! I like the decluttering one! Happy New Year! www.alldawn.com

BeeCute said...

Im a new GFC follower from FFF. Would love the follow back at
http://www.beecute1.blogspot.com

Happy New Year!!

Heavensent1 said...

Swingin' By Sunday and GFC following...ifn you have a moment, please stop by my place and follow back... Mad Moose Mama - http://www.madmoosemama.blogspot.com Have yourself a groovy day...peaces...xoxo

ohkeeka said...

I'm a new follower from the Pink Dandy Sunday Blog Hop. I'd love it if you'd follow my new blog too! Starting it was part of my New Year's resolution to start taking action on the things I want to do!

http://thetypeahousewife.blogspot.com/

lighttraveler said...

I am your newest follower!
Please follow back, I would greatly appreciate it!
Quick Tattletails
:)

Visit our Etsy shop

Some of my web spaces



click to go to my personal website



My food blog MY NEW BLOG!!





Labels

1960's 1970's abuse abusive behavior acceptance accomplishment accomplishments acquaintances addiction adoration adversity affair affection afraid agoraphobia ambitions anger anticipation anxiety appreciation aspirations attitude attraction authenticity awareness bad behavior bad days bad times balance balance of life beginning behavior being alone Betsy blahs blessings bliss boredom buddy burnout Buster challenges chances change changes cheating cheech and chong chemistry choices christmas cigarettes comfort zone communication compassion confidence conflict confrontation confusion consequences consideration contemplation contentment control controversy coping Corinthians13 courage creativity crossroads cupid dating death deceit deception decision making defense mode denial depression desire desires destiny determination diet difficulties direction disagreements disappointment discipline dogs doubt drama queen dreams eBay economy ego emotional abuse emotional baggage emotional commitment emotional state emotions employment empowerment encouragement endurance escape expectations facing problems failure failures faith family fantasy fate Fear fears feelings flower children focus forbidden love forgiveness free love free will freedom friends friendship frustration fulfillment future glass half full/half empty goals God good times grateful gratitude grief growth guidance guilt habits happiness happy hard headed harmony hate healing health helpless hippie culture hippies holidays home honesty hope hopeless hopes hugs humiliation hurt identity imagination impatience improvement inner strength inner struggle innovation insecurity inspiration intimacy intuition irritation job job satisfaction John Lennon joy jr Kiki kindness laughter lessons lies life life balance life challenges life change life changes life circumstances life experiences life lessons life partner life retrospect life situations life struggles lifestyle loneliness long distance relationship loss of a pet loss of control lost love lovers lust managing anxiety Mark Nepo marriage medication mental health Mimi miracles mistakes moderation moments money motivation moving on natural disasters needs negative thoughts negativity new year Nolan normal nurturing obstacles office politics online dating online love online romance opinions opportunity optimism options overwhelm pace pain paranoia passion past path patience peace peace of mind perception perfection persistence personal growth personal power perspective Petey pets physical abuse pity party planning plans pleasure positive attitude positive thinking positivity possibilities prayer pride priorities problems procrastination progress prosperity purpose quality of life quit smoking reaction reactions reality reasons regrets rejection relationship relationships relax relaxation resentment resolutions respect responsibility rest restlessness retirement retreat revenge risk risks romance romantic love routine run away running away sacrifice sadness sanctuary satisfaction scared searching self-acceptance self-awareness self-confidence self-control self-defeating behavior self-esteem self-help self-improvement self-loathing self-love self-pity self-talk self-worth serendipity serenity setting goals settle sex sexual revolution simple abundance smoking society solitude sorrow soul soulmates state of mind strength stress strong struggle struggles stubborn subconscious feelings success suffering suicide support suppressed emotions survival surviving grief temper terrorism The Wedding Singer thinking thoughts time time travel tolerance toxic love toxic people toxic relationship tragedy transitions trigger day trouble true calling trust truth uncertainty unconditional love understanding unemployment unhappiness unresolved feelings valentines day value victims vision vulnerability wants war weakness wedding anniversary widow wisdom wishes work work achievements workaholic worries worry