Thursday, December 16, 2010

Blue sky day



~ Mr. Blue Sky | Electric Light Orchestra ~


Finally . . . a weather warm up in Central Florida.

If you read the last post, you will know that I am one happy person today . . . temps in the 70's by this afternoon!!  Now I can get to the mounds of laundry that has been haunting me this week.

It really feels like a blue sky day.  That saying originates from a soap I watched for many years . . . many of you probably still watch it . . . All My Children.  The character Ryan spoke of his now departed mom, who gave him his blue sky days in the midst of a horrific childhood.  He fondly recalled his happy days often on the soap and I never forgot it.  Happy days are like that . . . even if they are not memorable.

Today is my mom's birthday . . . also my cousin Vince's birthday and my friend Rhonda too.  It is also the day my sweet girl dog Betsy passed away 10 years ago.  The date is memorable and bittersweet at the same time.  Any day can be a blue sky day . . . it is what you make of it, despite the life circumstances that surround you.


Rather than think negatively about this day and the passing of the sweetest little baby I've ever encountered in my life . . . she WAS like a baby to me . . . I'm gonna have a blue sky day even though I still haven't gotten over her being gone.  She was my constant companion and gave me years of love and joy.

Betsy was the little girl I never had and I treated her that way . . . look at how I dressed her up . . . I would even paint her toenails.  And she loved it.  When I painted her nails, she would hold her little paw up for me.

She was my prissy girl!

My husband passed away two years after . . . while I was still grieving the loss of my little baby.  These days I celebrate having both in my life and experiencing innocent, unconditional love that I was blessed to feel.  

Thinking back, I realize why I had so many years of being lost and screwed up, wound up tight like a spring, ready to uncoil and crawl out of my skin at any minute.  They were my immediate family . . . here one day and gone the next.  It can be devastating . . . and it was for me.  But I've come back to life again.

In all the years she has been gone, I have not replaced her.  We had another dog, who was my husband's dog, but that little bugger totally hated me, especially after my husband died, but that's another post that I've already written that is buried somewhere in this blog.
My nickname for him was Cujo . . . not a cool dog.

The Captain informed me this weekend that it is time for us to get a dog.  I agree wholeheartedly!!  Now that I am not working away from home, I have all the time in the world to give another baby dog all my love.  So it was decided . . . we will be on a quest to find another baby girl for me to love after the holidays.  I can't wait!!

"Our perfect companions never
have fewer than four feet"
Colette

Animals can be living proof of a simple abundant source of love . . . 
we just have to let them into our lives and allow them
 to be our creature comfort.

Dogs are definitely my creature comfort!





Hope you all have a blue sky day :)









  

11 comments:

BlackEyedDog said...

thank you so much for linking up^^ I've never seen my blog hop badge THAT big....awesome xD

Dogs are such good friends and companions...sometimes even better ones than other people could ever be.
your dog was such a cutie....hope you cherish all the wonderful memories of the time you both had together! =)

xoxo

Gina Alfani said...

LOL just want to make sure everyone sees it!

Thanks for visiting and commenting :)

Skye said...

http://realmomreviews.blogspot.com/
Following your blog! Please follow back!
If you could follow me on Facebook, that would be awesome too!!
http://www.facebook.com/RealMomReviews
Thanks for your time!
Skye

Selfcentered said...

Such a cute dog. I agree with blackeyeddog dogs are such good friends and companions.

Thanks for following I'll return the favor.!

The Desert Rocks said...

Gina, your post is so cute. Thanks for visiting my site too. Did you happen to read about my baby?
The post is called Dog-gone good Memories about my little dog who left us on our 16th wedding Anniversary. I guess they want us to remember them.
Like we'd forget?

Janet Ellis said...

Oh Gina, I have tears filling up my eyes. We lost our "baby" on January 13th. I remember thinking back afterward, I didn't know we wouldn't have that much time left with him. But somehow, I made time to spend those last days with him, to lay with him, to put all other things aside, and just "be" there with him. Like your sweet girl, Charlie had been there for me through thick and thin; an awful divorce, the devastating loss of my sister, etc.etc. When he was gone I thought; never again will I feel this loss. I was completely overwhelmed with grief. My husband and I vowed not to make any decisions for a year about bringing another into our home. But the space was so empty, the joy, missing, the crazy little antics were so missed. Rick kept saying "how will you ever replace that personality." I answered, "Why would we even try?" Then on May 1st, we brought our two cocker puppies home. (Warning: Do not try this at home without the help of a professional!) We love them, though I still haven't been able to bring our the Christmas stockings (Cuz Charlie's is there too.) They got news ones :-) Joy is back in the house X 2 and sometimes double trouble...like serious double trouble. :-)

I am so happy for you that you will soon be enjoying a new "baby girl." They are so sweet, and offer such innocent unconditional love. Oh the fun you'll have watching her explore the world around her. It's like having perpetual 2 year olds. There's always something fresh and new. Blessings, Janet

jamfiescreations1 said...

Hello, cute doggy. I am following from Follow Me Friday 40 and Over. Hope you can visit my blog.

www.jamfiescreations1.blogspot.com

Mary O

The Painted Veil said...

Awwww...Gina I was sick yesterday and missed this. I too have lost long time pets and it's just like losing a member of the family.

I can see why you and everyone would love her. Betsy just looks so precious. I know it is hard. Our daughter Pam lost Misty after having her 19 years. She got her when she was 19 herself. She can't have children so her pets are literally her babies. I thought losing Misty would kill her.

Happy belated birthday to your mom and I am so glad your weather has improved. We are still cold and damp here.

But, my Walter is due home today and I am very excited about that. He is coming in 3 days early. My house is a total wreck but I have to get caught up with everyone too.

Oh yes, before I leave off, I wanted to say thank you for joining in on the Merry Christmas Celebration. I just got up a new post and handed out linky love to all who have signed up so far.

Thanks bunches for joining in with us and I hope you have another great day today!
hugs,
Jackie:-)

Liz said...

Your post made me smile to think of all the great dogs I have had in my life. Dogs only have a short life because they have no lessons to learn, they just love, us humans have to learn to love unconditionally like a loyal 4 legged companion can!

I am a new follower from Surfin Saturdays.
I would love a follow back.
Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!

http://thecouponqueenbee.blogspot.com

Nana Poppins said...

Good Luck with the new addition to your family!

Im hoppin in from the weekend blog hops and wanted to stop to wish you a wonderful holiday season!

Nana Poppins (Patty)
http://www.nanapoppins.com

Jackie said...

My dog passed away 6 months ago suddenly. We woke up one morning and she was paralyzed out of the blue. I had just had a baby 9 days before that and already had some post partum issues. I miss her dearly! I still think of her on a daily bases and it was 6 months ago. Ok I'm crying now, gonna move on. Coming over to follow via the saturday hop! Hoping you can swing by Mommy In The Baking and follow back. Have a great saturday night! Oh BTW- I live in Okeechobee FL!
Jackie
www.mommyinthebaking.com

Visit our Etsy shop

Some of my web spaces



click to go to my personal website



My food blog MY NEW BLOG!!





Labels

1960's 1970's abuse abusive behavior acceptance accomplishment accomplishments acquaintances addiction adoration adversity affair affection afraid agoraphobia ambitions anger anticipation anxiety appreciation aspirations attitude attraction authenticity awareness bad behavior bad days bad times balance balance of life beginning behavior being alone Betsy blahs blessings bliss boredom buddy burnout Buster challenges chances change changes cheating cheech and chong chemistry choices christmas cigarettes comfort zone communication compassion confidence conflict confrontation confusion consequences consideration contemplation contentment control controversy coping Corinthians13 courage creativity crossroads cupid dating death deceit deception decision making defense mode denial depression desire desires destiny determination diet difficulties direction disagreements disappointment discipline dogs doubt drama queen dreams eBay economy ego emotional abuse emotional baggage emotional commitment emotional state emotions employment empowerment encouragement endurance escape expectations facing problems failure failures faith family fantasy fate Fear fears feelings flower children focus forbidden love forgiveness free love free will freedom friends friendship frustration fulfillment future glass half full/half empty goals God good times grateful gratitude grief growth guidance guilt habits happiness happy hard headed harmony hate healing health helpless hippie culture hippies holidays home honesty hope hopeless hopes hugs humiliation hurt identity imagination impatience improvement inner strength inner struggle innovation insecurity inspiration intimacy intuition irritation job job satisfaction John Lennon joy jr Kiki kindness laughter lessons lies life life balance life challenges life change life changes life circumstances life experiences life lessons life partner life retrospect life situations life struggles lifestyle loneliness long distance relationship loss of a pet loss of control lost love lovers lust managing anxiety Mark Nepo marriage medication mental health Mimi miracles mistakes moderation moments money motivation moving on natural disasters needs negative thoughts negativity new year Nolan normal nurturing obstacles office politics online dating online love online romance opinions opportunity optimism options overwhelm pace pain paranoia passion past path patience peace peace of mind perception perfection persistence personal growth personal power perspective Petey pets physical abuse pity party planning plans pleasure positive attitude positive thinking positivity possibilities prayer pride priorities problems procrastination progress prosperity purpose quality of life quit smoking reaction reactions reality reasons regrets rejection relationship relationships relax relaxation resentment resolutions respect responsibility rest restlessness retirement retreat revenge risk risks romance romantic love routine run away running away sacrifice sadness sanctuary satisfaction scared searching self-acceptance self-awareness self-confidence self-control self-defeating behavior self-esteem self-help self-improvement self-loathing self-love self-pity self-talk self-worth serendipity serenity setting goals settle sex sexual revolution simple abundance smoking society solitude sorrow soul soulmates state of mind strength stress strong struggle struggles stubborn subconscious feelings success suffering suicide support suppressed emotions survival surviving grief temper terrorism The Wedding Singer thinking thoughts time time travel tolerance toxic love toxic people toxic relationship tragedy transitions trigger day trouble true calling trust truth uncertainty unconditional love understanding unemployment unhappiness unresolved feelings valentines day value victims vision vulnerability wants war weakness wedding anniversary widow wisdom wishes work work achievements workaholic worries worry